Avoid Fox Sports Audio on San Francisco Giants Games
San Francisco Giants fans struggled with Joe Buck and friends in 2010, but I couldn’t handle it this year. I had to find a way. You need Sirius XM. If you don’t have it, the video delay on TV directly to listening to the radio station KNBR is too much to handle. BUT, if you do have a Sirius XM subscription (we have a Sirius radio in our Honda) the feed from Sirius is behind the the video even with a TiVo or other DVR in between the TV and cable. With TiVo and Sirius, you can make Fox Sports commentary a non-issue. It is wonderful. Here is how.
1. Get the game up on on Fox on your TV. (Channel 702 HD in the Bay Area.)
2. Use the web player on SiriusXM and go to the MLB Play-By-Play channel for the Giants, Channel 863. It is the KNBR feed with Kruk and Kuip but it is delayed roughly 30-60 seconds. I have our iMac at home playing the flash player for Sirius playing and dishing the audio to an Airport Express and speaker near the TV.
3. The TV will be ahead of the audio initially. Pause the TV with your DVR or TiVO at a memorable point in the game.
4. Wait for the audio from KNBR to catch-up and then play the video.
You might have to pause or fast-foward TiVo/DVR a little to get it in-sync perfectly, but when you do. It is nirvana. Here are a couple of samples.
I love it. I really love it when you see the Fox Sports crew do something stupid during the game and you are still with the game and timing because you are lucky enough to not hear them doing whatever.
If you have a DVR and a Sirius XM subscription, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. It has made the game much more enjoyable for us.
1. SiriusXM web player does prompt every once and a while after a hour or two to make sure you still want to listen (which is a hassle.) When you continue, you will need to re-sync with video.
2. You don’t get all the stupid TV commercials because often KNBR will talk about the game through the TV commercials.