image

I did something Google Now or Google services in general didn’t like. After doing a bunch of searches, people were all over the place with possible fixes. I tried them all. But, the only solution I found was to delete the Google account data and cache.

Go to Settings >> Apps >> Google Search.

image

Press “Clear Data” and “Clear Cache” to purge the corrupted data.

image

Clearing this data out should purge the badness causing Google Search to freak-out.

37 Comments

1. Dilan

Omg yes thanks so much, that google has stoped was spamming on my phone like hell and now it’s fixed:) thanks

• Mal T

what did it clear? do it delete kik, gmail, google account …ect

• hossein

Thanks,It works for me

2. Did that last night, but it happened again this morning. There must be some other app or setting that is interfering.

• Imraan

I have the same problem. Same thing happened to me. I don’t know how to fix. Am on Nexus 5 :(

• Odd. Uninstall and reinstall didn’t do it either?

3. zali

i didn’t see Google Search in Settings >> Apps >>.

4. zali

hi, i didn’t see the Google Search in Settings >> Apps >>. any other solution

5. Ed Rojas

Thanks big time! I thought I’d have to reset the whole phone. I was trying to install the Android 4.4 update, but it doesn’t work on the HTC One X, at least it didn’t for me. I guess I’m stuck with 4.1.1.

Great Help!

6. Brian E

18 Nov 2013
    So far, the only solution that has worked for me has been to uninstall the updates to Google Search (on the same settings screen shown here), restoring the app to how it was when it came out of the box.
    Note: I think this problem started after a recent update.

7. Rich Bennecke

This didn’t work on my Galaxy Note 10.1

• Billy

Hi were u able to to find a fix for google search and google + ? I am still seeking a fix.

8. name

It doesn’t work :(
    It makes me do all the steps for “Google Now” again,
    and if I click “Yes I’m in” nor “Maybe Later”
    It still says “Unfortunately, google search has stopped”
    What do I do?

9. elchucko

Here is my workaround. I used foxfire to search for google. Then I opened google and the google search page was displayed. On my samsung note 10.1 tablet I selected to make the current page google as a bookmark and added it to desktop. Now I can tap the bookmark icon and launch google.

10. Ganesh Mirji

thanks..it did work..

11. José Cabral

Thanks a lot man, it solved my problem. I Even tryed uninstalling the app and it didnt work.

12. Izahar Ahmad

it worked..thanks

13. Brian P.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your solution. Like you, I tried other fixes circulating out there and none worked. Yours is definitely a solid fix. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and was having the problem with not only Google Search but also Chrome. When attempting to launch Chrome it would start to load and immediately quit. Restarting the tablet didn’t work. I cleared only the cache in the affected apps and this didn’t help, as I expected. Before I cleared the data, I decided to try uninstalling and reinstalling all updates on both apps and this fixed them both. They now work perfectly. Just thought I would share since this may be a fix for some that would prefer not to use the option to clear all data in the app(s).

14. kh21

This didn’t work for me… :(

15. kh21

I tried everything…. Nothing worked for me!! cleared all the data, caches nad uninstall, reinstall everyhing. the problem still exists.

16. Hiren Soni

I uninstalled the update and it worked…thanx.

17. kim-j

If you didn’t see the google search apps on settings..,
    Go to google play store and find it in tbere.., uninstall it and try again.., reinstalling it is optional..,

I did it and it works.., thanks for this men.., (y)

18. Tatiana

I have a tablet and it doesn’t work. I try to go on settings but it won’t let me get on it help plz!!!!!

19. Syd

Thank you so much, it worked! :-)

20. rey jr

thank you so much!!!! Godbless

21. Zafar

what if i am not able to go to setting? After upgradating android 4.1.2 to kitkat some problem occurs and I only see black screen and ” unfortunately your google search stopped working” appears and unable to close it and go to setting.

22. Your instructions worked for me. I have a Blu Studio 5.5 phone. Thanks so much!

23. First, I had to factory reset my phone because somehow I was locked out and Samsung G S3 would not boot as it should have. Only then – did I encounter this keyboard – pain in the a$$ problem.
    Listed below IS THE FIX I found…I hope this helps everyone having this problem (hopefully you weren’t locked out of your phone beforehand, like I was…any here goes the fix…) –
    What I did was go to Settings, Apps then uninstall the update for Google Play Services and then I updated Google Search – that’s it and EVERYTHING is BETTER than back to normal. Why better you ask?? Well, I had installed the Swiftkey app before I had implemented the actual fix, trying anything that would fix the keyboard problem
    (really nice app with many features, btw – colored keyboards and many more features)
    AND it has features that allowed you to ‘draw’ or drag your finger across its keyboard to the letters you wish to input and the entire word will appear without having to text!! For use of the voice feature, simply keep your finger on the mic/comma button for a fraction of a second longer and SHAZAM !! … Voice to text screen appears and works better than the Android keyboard (AOSP) voice feature ever could have…You can allow Google Voice feature to be enabled, as well as Swiftkey, they work great together!! Please find your keyboards and features in Settings>Language & Input…

All IS good that ends WELL…And this keyboard problem has ended and on a GREAT note. Hope this helps everyone… o;)~

BUT I MUST ADD FOR your SAFETY, your loved ones safety and the safety of others, PLEASE DO NOT TEXT & DRIVE – Thank you & God bless all ^5

• Pretty great post. Thanks for posting to help others.

• Well, thank you Jonathan, you’re the best! I certainly appreciate you taking the time to appreciate my post. I always try to do my ultimate best to help others and keep us all safe. I’m an artist and love living to enhance and bring out the beauty of our world.

24. Simeon Khan

Can anyone tel me how to fix “Unfortunately, SNS has stopped”? My phone has been working fine, then that msg just popped up out of no where. in checked the sync settings for all my synced apps on my phone (SGS3) and all of them are synced, i dont understand whats the problem. Any suggestions?

25. ARCHIL