Skip to content


Unable to Update Your AT&T Samsung Galaxy Phone? Try Changing The Date.


I had a heck of a time getting the AT&T Software Update OTA going on my wife’s Samsung Galaxy S5 (SAMSUNG-SM-G900A). Apparently, on AT&T images, they put a check in place on the software update to limit/inhibit multiple checks based on a timeframe. The phone did not have enough storage space on the device memory to handle the download on the first check, so we moved apps and data around to clear 3gb or so for the 2gb or so download of Android 6 and then wanted to start the update. But, you cannot just go in and run the software update again and trigger the update. There is no way to restart the updater application either to get it to recognize we had space this time. Frustrating.

Anyway, thankfully, I found this in the AT&T forums that suggests messing with the device date to get around this. I guess AT&T uses local device time to limit the request again to initiate the software update. If you take your phone off automatic date and time settings and kick the device ahead a day, the software update application resident on the phone will validate that the update can now happen. We moved the device date from Saturday to Sunday and we got the download going.

Crazy they inhibit updates in this manner, but fooling the date and time seems to do the trick.


Fixing false “insufficient storage available” errors on Android

For some reason, I started to get some of these Android errors and did some searches to figure-out what was happening. I think it happened after I used some cache cleaner apps or something. There are a lot of other posts out there on this but here is what works for me. I’m running Cyanogenmod 11 on an HTC One (M7) so YMMV.


Errors have started to kick-up on certain apps and I can’t even determine a pattern for ones that this generates for whatever reason. Chrome was one that this happened to for me. Google Play SHOULD be able to just play the update on the screenshot below. image

Except, it stops. So, in investigating this there are many posts out there that reference the app-lib directory under /data. Popping-open a Terminal and getting into the directory with root lets you nuke the files that get stuck. image

On CyanogenMod, you want to go to /data/app-lib and su or sudo to be able to nuke the stuck files. image

You can do a search with an ls -l and grep to see what is in there for the app. Then come back and delete it. They are little directories that might get stuck. This removes the data around the install that don’t want to play nice with Android. image

After the removal of the stuck directories and files, you can play the update.image

Update: June 1, 2014

The permissions on the problem files somehow got messed-up. You can see that the owner/groups are not system.


So, when I fixed the permissions with a chown (the -R option is not available to all the Linux folks out there!) it helps correct the issues.

This gets everything to have system owner and group.

HTC One with Cyanogenmod recommended settings

I’ve been running CM for almost six months now and have played with many different options and settings throughout and am very happy now with the following settings. This might be helpful for others thinking of ditching the stock Android and HTC Sense software.

1. Here is a snapshot of what the software versions look like tonight. I’m running CM 11.


2. I’ve found staying with dalvik runtime for the time being is still the way to go.

3. I have also played around a lot with energy profiles and found power save the best way to go.

4. For processor settings, I went back and forth often but keep coming back to the ondemand setting. Interactive is also great, but eats more battery for me and my usage for some reason.

Well, that is what I’m running now but it might change. I have tried Art runtime often, but have not yet found any advantages. The AT&T Visual Voicemail is buggy on KitKat, but I’m hoping they will eventually stabilize it again.

Hope this gives you another point of reference. I love the HTC One hardware, and CM really makes it sing.

Problems getting group SMS/MMS from iOS on Android? Get Ninja SMS.

I was having a lot of blank messages from iPhone users on my Android CyanogenMod HTC One phone. The messages were blank when sent as part of a group text. This was quite annoying. I’m sure it has to do with iOS sending in a format for other iOS users. Here is what the Android Messaging app window looked like:


I was able to send okay and see what I sent to iOS users, but not see what they sent back to the group. Of course, I was the only non-iOS phone in the mix. I don’t get many of these group texts, so it was annoying but not debilitating. I tried a few other SMS apps but landed on Ninja SMS.

With Ninja, I immediately was able to see the formally blank texts.

It’s well worth the $1.50 if you are experiencing issues with SMS in an iOS-dominated world.

Killing Waze Ads On Mobile

Waze is a wonderful tool for commuters to help and alert each other to hazards and road conditions. But, the recent inclusion of ads when you stop are annoying.

I have a rooted Android device, so I decided to do something about it. Waze pulls the ads from:

So, I snagged a hosts editor from Google Play and added the host with a dead-end to



After adding that, anytime Waze ads are called, it will just kick an error screen and go away.


Better than a Jack In The Box ad IMHO.