I had a heck of a time getting the AT&T Software Update OTA going on my wife’s Samsung Galaxy S5 (SAMSUNG-SM-G900A). Apparently, on AT&T images, they put a check in place on the software update to limit/inhibit multiple checks based on a timeframe. The phone did not have enough storage space on the device memory to handle the download on the first check, so we moved apps and data around to clear 3gb or so for the 2gb or so download of Android 6 and then wanted to start the update. But, you cannot just go in and run the software update again and trigger the update. There is no way to restart the updater application either to get it to recognize we had space this time. Frustrating.
Anyway, thankfully, I found this in the AT&T forums that suggests messing with the device date to get around this. I guess AT&T uses local device time to limit the request again to initiate the software update. If you take your phone off automatic date and time settings and kick the device ahead a day, the software update application resident on the phone will validate that the update can now happen. We moved the device date from Saturday to Sunday and we got the download going.
Crazy they inhibit updates in this manner, but fooling the date and time seems to do the trick.
Ran into a tough issue with a Samsung Digital Signage unit that turned out to be quite a hassle. The unit was inconsistent on the wireless network and unable to reliably push content from MagicInfo. After numerous attempts to correct directly with the unit, I called tech support and eventually got through this solution. If you are having the some inconsistency with a DBE series unit, be sure to go into the Menu/Support and get the latest firmware. The issue with the unit we purchased was that the unit was too many versions behind the current firmware, so it wouldn’t perform an over the air update.
Here is the manual way to accomplish the update. My unit model was a DB55E and my version was 1014.
Check the version via the remote control from Menu/Support/Update and try to play the other the air update. If it is too many versions behind current, it will come back that you have the latest update. This would be incorrect.
If the update went well, you can stop here. If it didn’t, download this file. I am posting this because it was oddly difficult to obtain. It’s ~700megs.
Unzip that zip and put the contents of the unzipped folder on a USB memory stick.
Make sure to name the folder “T-GFSLE2AKUC” only and it should reside on the root level of the memory stick.
Connect it to the display USB port.
Run the update via the menu again, but this time you will be prompted if you want to search the USB storage. You do.
Let the screen run the update all the way through. It will take a few minutes then bring it back to the source search and or static snow.
Go back into Menu / Setup and confirm the update ran.
YMMV but hope this helps you without consuming the time it took me to get to a solution.
Kudos to the various sites that provided some guidance on getting the Cisco IPSec VPN client going again on Windows 10. I finally was able to get it going for me. I’m running Windows 10 64bit and connecting to Cisco IPSec/UDP.
1. Run Winfix.exe before you do anything else. This will nuke all the bad stuff you probably did to try and get it operational. Do this first before you start piling on installs again. Trust me. Believe me. Reboot.
If you ever find an abandoned Linux server running WordPress on your network that was left for dead but still running somehow, here are some tips on what to do. I just went through this and was amazed when I discovered the WordPress install wasn’t compromised.
1. Get root. Kind of goes without saying. Get console and if you don’t have the root password to the box, you’re not going anywhere.
2. Get mysql root. WordPress is probably running mysql as a the backend db. If you don’t have that, reset it.
3. Get into mysql at the command-line and find the wordpress db to get to the wp-users table.
4. Your db is probably titled “wordpress” but it could be a variant of that.
5. Select the wp-users table in your WordPress db and reset the password for the ID =1 user.
6. Reset that password in the table for the ID 1 entry
7. That should give you login to the old WordPress site (http://www.site.com/wp-admin/) via the browser.
After you are able to login, I wish you the best. Unpatched WordPress sites are a constant target for bots in need of sites to host malware, so you are very lucky if you find the site has not been compromised. When I logged-in, I found a WordPress 3.2 site which puts it at about 4 years old against the release history.
One would think Lenovo would have done some work to scrub the existing inventory in their own warehouses after the debacle around Superfish leaked last month. It’s clear that they haven’t.
My wife and I just ordered a Yoga 2 Pro late last week to replace our old MacBook Pro 2011 that died recently with motherboard failure. We received the Yoga 2 Pro today and as I set it up. I removed the various bundled crapware applications and I was sure that Lenovo would had the sense to clean-up their Superfish mess (at least on all inventory that didn’t ship yet out to resellers) but they didn’t even do that.
I was shocked to see Windows Defender find Superfish and nuke it.
This is very surprising to me. Lenovo got rightfully hammered for the decision to bundle Superfish with their products and I thought they had righted their wrongs. They make great hardware and I happen to love the Yoga series units, but this is very dissapointing. I see others are finding out the same thing.
Ugh! Get it together Lenovo. You make great hardware, but the revenue stream from bundled apps and malware is damaging whatever brand you have left.