Migrating ownCloud to NextCloud

ownCloud2small-left-arrow-clipart-1   nextcloud-logo

I’ve been a happy user of ownCloud for a few years now to dish shared calendar and contacts personally in addition to some image backup stuff with Android. I have no idea beyond the published reports of the split with the founder that started the Nextcloud variant, but it did seem like that is the future. So, getting over to it now made some sense to me. Here is what I did. YMMV.

  1. Backed-up up my ownCloud directory, mysql db, etc. via tar cvf and phpmysql.
  2. Moved my ownCloud directory off it’s usual path to something else (i.e. /var/www/owncloud to now /var/www/owncloud-old
  3. Downloaded the Nextcloud zip here. Unzipped it and gave it the orginal path of owncloud.
  4. Chmod’d and chown’d -R the permissions to get them the way I wanted of the new Nextcloud install.
  5. Moved the config.php from the old owncloud into the same dir of Nextcloud (from owncloudpath/config/config.php to netxcloudpath/config/config.php) and this was the old file I brought over from the previous OC folder.
  6. Hit the Nextcloud url path via browser and watched it go through the upgrade/update. It recognizes the situation and plays the required changes.
  7. I did have to go into admin on nextcloud and re-enable calendar and contacts for some reason. Not sure why. Maybe licensing or something?
  8. Took a while, but after I was able to access everything that was done in my previous owncloud.
  9. Really clean drop-in upgrade/sidegrade IMHO.

Some notes:

  1. I wasn’t on the very latest version of owncloud, but it still went fine. I was ballpark though (like 8.x something)
  2. I’m running on a 32bit Ubuntu 14.04 server. Apache, mysql, etc. Pretty standard from a few years back. I realize all the cool kids are nginx, but Apache has always been fine for me.
  3. I didn’t have a lot of other OC apps loaded. So, I wasn’t too worried about disabling stuff prior to NC.
  4. I am doing a lot of caldav and carddav stuff and that was back online right after. No probs.

I hope all goes well for you if you go down this route and move off ownCloud.

Java heap error with RazorSQL on Windows 10

Java_logo

In working with some large table exports with RazorSQL, I ran into some Java heap errors. Here is how to fix it by throwing more memory at Java in the runtime parameters.

  1. Get the latest version on Java. I know, Oracle and all, but just get the latest version. At the time of this post, it was 1.80.91
  2. Go to the “Configura Java” application or the java Control Panel and then into the Java tab to view/edit runtime settings.
  3. Add an entry for the -Xms parameter. In my example, I gave it 3 gb more memory, but YMMV. I ended-up going with 4gbs 0r 4096m.

2016-05-24_10-02-43

 

That gave me a little more room in exporting some large tables from an old Sybase ASE database via RazorSQL since RazorSQL is a java program looking at the runtime for parameters.

Manually Ejecting Stuck LTO Tape from an HP Drive

Sadly, the stuck tape for me was a symptom of a larger issue with the drive itself. But, we have an HP LTO4 autoloader displaying an odd error on the LCD

incomp. medium

I tried everything via the hardware interface, but we knew a tape was stuck in there. So, I removed the drive unit and saw the tape.

Stuck LTO4 tape

Rather than just cutting into the mechanism, I found this video on youtube to at least try and extract the stuck LTO4 tape through the proper process.

I was able to extract the tape and found the post-it note jammed in the slot, but that wasn’t the ultimate issue that doomed the drive.

post-it note stuck in LTO drive

IMG_20160513_100151

The drive mechanism that grabs and guides the cartridge broke and was not able to be easily repaired.

Broken LTO4 drive

So, the drive was a loss, but hey, I was able to get the tape out. The video was absolutely key. Good luck to you.

Firmware update via USB on Samsung Digital Signage DBE Series

wp-1453353288405.jpg

Ran into a tough issue with a Samsung Digital Signage unit that turned out to be quite a hassle. The unit was inconsistent on the wireless network and unable to reliably push content from MagicInfo. After numerous attempts to correct directly with the unit, I called tech support and eventually got through this solution. If you are having the some inconsistency with a DBE series unit, be sure to go into the Menu/Support and get the latest firmware. The issue with the unit we purchased was that the unit was too many versions behind the current firmware, so it wouldn’t perform an over the air update.

Here is the manual way to accomplish the update. My unit model was a DB55E and my version was 1014.

  1. Check the version via the remote control from Menu/Support/Update and try to play the other the air update. If it is too many versions behind current, it will come back that you have the latest update. This would be incorrect.
  2. If the update went well, you can stop here. If it didn’t, download this file. I am posting this because it was oddly difficult to obtain. It’s ~700megs.
  3. Unzip that zip and put the contents of the unzipped folder on a USB memory stick.
  4. Make sure to name the folder “T-GFSLE2AKUC” only and it should reside on the root level of the memory stick.
  5. Connect it to the display USB port.
  6. Run the update via the menu again, but this time you will be prompted if you want to search the USB storage. You do.
  7. Let the screen run the update all the way through. It will take a few minutes then bring it back to the source search and or static snow.
  8. Go back into Menu / Setup and confirm the update ran.

YMMV but hope this helps you without consuming the time it took me to get to a solution.

wp-1453353280474.jpg